Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Congressman/Politician vs. Representative/Public Servant


Representative Allen West (R) FL-22
As some people who have read my articles and/or listened to‘Conservative Republican Forum’ are probably aware, my brother-in-law was killed in the North Tower of the World Trade Center on September 11th, 2001. Naturally the subject is very personal to me and my family. It is also natural that I was very pleased when the news came that Osama Bin Laden had been killed.

Last month after SEAL Team 6 eliminated Osama Bin Laden and President Obama declared that the photos of the mass-murderer would not be made public I wrote to several members of Congress to ask that they speak out on behalf of the families of 9/11 victims and ask the President to reconsider his decision.

I expressed to each member of the US House and Senate that I contacted that, “It is unacceptable to me that President Obama, after making the bold decision to send in a team to kill Bin Laden rather than simply using a Predator drone to fire a missile into the compound and leaving doubt as to whether the objective was achieved, now has classified the photos that would prove to world that Osama Bin Laden is truly dead.”

Only one member of Congress took the time to send me a hand-written note, expressing condolences for my family’s loss and his belief “that anyone who lost a family member on 9-11 should have the right to view the photos” of Bin Laden’s corpse.

Unfortunately that person was not my congressman Ted Deutch (D) of Florida’s 19th Congressional District, who did not even take the time to send me a form letter in reply.

No, the public servant that took the time to write me a personal note was none other thanRepresentative Allen West (R) of Florida’s 22nd Congressional District.

If you want to know the difference between a politician and a representative of the people, this simple but very personal action illustrates the difference perfectly.